22 February 2010

Favorite Things - February 22

My favorite thing today is a place - a delightful little cafe in Charlottetown, PEI. Since discovering it last year it is a must-go destination anytime I am on the Island.

This wonderful cafe is called Leonhard's. I discovered Leonhard's quite by accident over a year ago, when out with my mother on a chilly day, we decided to find somewhere to warm up with a hot cup of tea. The moment we walked in, I knew that I had wandered into someplace special. The window was filled with baskets of croissants and cookies; behind the counter was a rack to house home-baked breads; the far end of the counter was my Mecca - a display case filled with mouth-watering European cakes and pastries.

Since that first visit, I have been back every time that I am in Charlottetown. Beyond the cakes, pastries and coffee, I have also gone back to explore their lunch menu. I like to keep my lunch light when visiting (a simple sandwich on their home-baked bread) so that I can be sure to indulge in the decadent dessert offerings.

Beyond the delicious offerings, I love to visit for the ambiance. You can tell that this space is a true labour of love. Touches of Old Europe meet Island cottage, creating a cozy space that prevails upon you to linger. The service too, is superior: efficient, but with that characteristic Island charm.

If ever you find yourself in Charlottetown, be sure to visit Leonhard's Cafe and Bakery, 42 University Ave.

(mmmm.... this is the Vanilla Roll that I enjoyed with my latte during my last visit. It was transcendental!)

2 comments:

Pegg said...

Yum, I'll have a slice please!

Nancy said...

Mmmm...I can practically taste it! Thanks for the virtual dessert!!