23 January 2008

50 Books.

I made a pact with myself at New Year's that I would give myself more time to read this year. I promised myself at least a half hour per day. Sometimes I make it, sometimes not.

From the time I was able to sound out words on my own, I have been churning through books at an alarming rate. The past year however, I found myself tight on time, and books were left collecting dust on the shelf. The scary thing is that I did not stop buying books, and now I am faced with a bookshelf that is sagging under the weight of 1000's of pages of literature.

Now I hate to make reading seem like a chore. I don't want to take the sheer enjoyment out of it. But, I do like a challenge. So I decided to challenge myself to read 50 books by the end of the year.

So far, I have two down; forty-eight to go.

I'm going to keep my running tally on here:

1) Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
2) A Spot of Bother - Mark Haddon
3) The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards
4) A Woman in Berlin: Eight Weeks in the Conquered City; A Diary - Anonymous
5) Fire in the Blood - Irene Némirovsky
6) The Almost Moon - Alice Sebold
7) A Short History of Tractors in the Ukraine - Marina Lewycka
8) The Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan
9) The Wreckage - Michael Crummey
10) April In Paris - Michael Wallner
11) The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
12) Little Women - Louisa May alcott
13) The Zookeeper's Wife - Diane Ackerman
14) Remembering the Bones - Frances Itani
15) Three Day Road - Joseph Boyden
16) Afterwards - Rachel Seiffert
17) Blindness - Jose Saramago

No comments: