14 February 2013

Love Day

I have a confession to make. 

Secretly, a little bit, I really love Valentine's Day. It is a little bit about the chocolate, but its more about the kitschiness of the day.  But then, I am a product of the 70's, a time when Valentine cards left in school-desk mailboxes didn't need to be politically correct, were loaded with bad puns, and were truly garish in design.  It was an amazing time then!

 Here are a couple favourites I found:




 

 

These two are great because its food... in love.  How sweet and silly is that.  Better than that, how loaded with puns can you be?  Well, seemingly the answer is really loaded, after all three puns in one short sentence is a gold standard of punny excellence!  Or should I say "eggs-ellence"! 








Now these two are great because they are so unabashedly NOT politically correct.  First of all, children with guns! And look how happy they are to be brandishing them. That would pretty much never happen now.  I am also pretty certain that on the Davy Crocket kid on top, that is not a faux fur cap he's wearing.  Pissing off at least two lobby groups at once with that card.  Awesome!


This one is interesting. She seems to be taking this rather lascivious looking chap and his double entendre with a surprising amount of good grace.  But she does have the decency at least to blush at his advances.  I am not sure if this was meant to be a child's Valentine or not.  If so, then it actually is a little disturbing. 

And then we come to this:



I can't even hazard a guess as to what this card is about.  Putting "thing" in quotation marks though makes it seem mildly dirty.  And somehow even more confusing.  Is it a decorated toilet paper roll?  I really don't understand.

Anyway.... I could do this all day.  But, I won't.  Instead I will simply wish you a Happy Valentine's Day.  May Cupid pierce your heart. 



No comments: