10 February 2013

Crafting a Resolution

Among my New Year's resolutions this year was to try a new craft project, or revisit an abandoned craft project, once each month. 

This is January's project. 


Embroidery had been on my must-try list for sometime, and lucky for me my very generous friend Pegg of fiveforty sent me an embroidery starter set from Whimsiology.

The set included the embroidery hoop, complete with the fabric which had a drawing on it that I simply needed to follow using the supplied embroidery thread.  Simple instructions on stitching had me going in no time.  There are a few rough spots in my attempt - some of those little bends are tricky! - but I was pretty pleased with my first attempt.  Embroidery for the win!  I totally loved this little project and can see myself tackling another project sometime in the future.

February's attempt at crafting is a little more ambitious.  I am revisiting an abandoned craft this month - needle-felting.  Some time ago, I rough sketched a version of Van Gogh's Starry Night onto a flat piece of felt that I bought at the Belfast Mini Mills in PEI.  (You can read a bit about them here.)   Using tufts of roving that I have collected over the years, I am now in the process of felting the picture. 

Here it is in the early stages.   You can see bits of the sketched out part as well as the beginnings of the felting - that's a cypress in case you are wondering.  :)



No comments: